What is Organic Vegetable Gardening?
Organic vegetable gardening is a system of growing vegetables that promotes and enhances biological diversity. It is based on a minimal use of off-site inputs and on practices that restore, maintain and enhance ecological harmony.
The two main reasons I grow organically are firstly because I believe it is healthier for me and secondly I believe it is better for our environment. There is more and more concern about where our food is coming from. Growing your own vegetables is definitely a way to calm any worries you may have. By growing your own food you have total control over how, where and what you grow.
Using organic methods are safe for us, our environment and vegetables can be easily grown in all climate conditions and in all sizes of gardens.
Principles or organics:
* methods used to enhance and harmonize with nature
* produce high quality tasty vegetables
* maximize productivity in your garden site
* improve and nourish garden soil through crop rotation, green manures and organic materials
* recycling waste by composting
* protects the environment by not using harmful chemical pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers and antibiotics
* promotes health and well being of farm animals
* prohibits seeds made from genetically modified organisms(GMO)
* promotes healthy use and care of our water resources
Healthy soil is the foundation in organic gardening. Here is a list of organic materials that you can use in your own garden.
Share this article