Weaning from Mothers Milk
- :Sheikh Ibrahim Amini
There are certain times when a child is deprived of the mother’s milk.
1. The time when the mother is affected with some infectious disease.
2. When the mother is suffering from a serious health condition like a heart attack and the doctors advised not to breast-feed the baby.
3. When the mother is mentally ill or suffers from epilepsy.
4. When the mother is suffering from anaemia and feeding the baby on her own milk may be harmful to both.
5. When the mother is addicted to drugs and alcoholic beverages because her milk poisoned by these materials will harm the baby.
In such conditions when there is the danger of infecting the baby or transferring poisonous matter through the milk, it is better to avoid feeding on the mother’s milk. When the breast-feeding mother becomes pregnant, she should wean the child in stages and simultaneously introduce other foods in the diet.
Adapted from the book: "Principles of Upbringing Children" by: "Sheikh Ibrahim Amini"
Share this article