The bond that Allah has set amongst the believers
84. It has been reported that Abu 'Abd Allah [a.s] said:
Believers are like brothers from one father and mother; when one of them is struck, the others lose sleep. 96
85. It has been reported that Abu Ja'far or Abu 'Abd Allah [a.s] said:
Believers are brothers of one another, like one physical body from which when one part is lost, the whole body becomes affected. 97
86. It has been reported that Abu 'Abd Allah [a.s] said:
A believer is a brother to (another) believer like one body; when one part of it suffers, the pain is found all over the body; for their souls are from the Spirit of Allah [M.G]. The soul of a believer has a stronger bond to the Spirit of Allah than the bond of Sun rays to the Sun. 98
87. Jabir reported:
I sighed in the presence of Abu Ja'far [a.s] and said, 'Son of Allah's Messenger, sometimes I feel afflicted for no apparent reason or I am overcome with a condition of grief such that my family and friends see it on my face.' 'Indeed, Jabir,' he replied. 'Why is that, O son of Allah's Messenger? I asked. 'What will you do knowing it?' he asked. 'I would love to know,' I replied.
'O Jabir,' he then said, 'Allah [M.G] created the believers from the earth of Paradise and brought about their souls from the breeze of Paradise. Believers are thus full brothers; so, when one soul amongst this group of souls is afflicted in any place, the rest are depressed, for they are one.' 99
88. It has been reported that Abu Ja'far [a.s] said:
Believers are full brothers. That is because Allah [M.G] created the believers from the earth of Paradise and brought about their forms from the breeze of Paradise. For that reason, they are full brothers. 100
89. It has been reported that Abu 'Abd Allah [a.s] said:
Souls are grouped in batches; they look out for each other like horses. They feel familiar with those whom they know well and disagree with those whom they disapprove of. If a believer entered a mosque filled with people amongst whom there was but one another believer, his soul would incline towards that believer until he would go and sit besides him. 101
90. It has been reported that Abu 'Abd Allah [a.s] said:
Nay, by Allah! A believer is not a true believer ever until he acts as the body of his brother; when one vein in it is struck, it evokes the rest of the body. 102
91. It has been reported that Abu 'Abd Allah [a.s] said:
For everything, there is a thing that gives it comfort; and a believer finds rest in the company of his fellow believer just as a bird finds comfort amongst its own kind. 103
92. It has been reported that Abu 'Abd Allah [a.s] said:
The believers in their reverence, affection and compassion for each other are like one body; when it falls ill, it affects all over with restlessness and fever.” 104
96. Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/264 h.4 and Al-Kulayni: al-Kafi 2/165 h.1.
97. Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/273 h.15.
98. Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/268 h.8 and Al-Kulayni: al-Kafi 2/166 h.4 and 2/277 h. 9 as quoted from Shaykh al-Mufid: al-Ikhtisas 26. In al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 61/148 h.25, it is quoted from al-Kulayni: al-Kafi, al-Ikhtisas and Shaykh al-Saduq: Musadaqat al-Ikhwan 30 h.2.
99. Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/266 h.6, 74/265 h.5, 67/75 h.11, 74/276 as quoted from Al-Kulayni: al-Kafi 2/166 h.2 and al-Barqi: al-Mahasin 1/133 h.10.
100. Al-Kulayni: al-Kafi 2/166 h.7, Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/271 h.11, 74/276 h.8 as quoted from al-Barqi: al-Mahasin 1/134 h.12.
101. Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/273 h.16.
102. Al-Mustadrak 2/93 h. 10 and Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/274 h.17, 47/233 h.30.
103. Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/274 h.18.
104. Al-Majlisi: Bihar al-Anwar 74/274 h.19 and al-Mustadrak 2/410.
Adapted from: "Kitab al-Mu'min" by: "Al-Husayn ibn Sa'id al-Kufi al-Ahwazi"
Share this article