Moroccan Soup to Fill the Tummy
1 lb lamb, cut into small cubes
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped celery & leaves
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, and
cilantro, chopped and mixed
1 (2 lb) can tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup lentils
1 cup chickpeas (canned are fine)
1/4 cup fine soup noodles
2 eggs, beaten with the juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Put the lamb, spices, butter, celery, onion, and parsley/cilantro in a large soup pot and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomato pieces, and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
3. Salt lightly.
4. Add the juice from the tomatoes, 7 cups of water, and the lentils.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
6. When ready to serve, add the chickpeas and noodles and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Then, with the soup at a steady simmer, stir the lemony eggs into the stock with a long wooden spoon.
8. Continue stirring slowly, to create long egg strands and to thicken the soup.
9. Season to taste. ladle into bowls and dust with cinnamon.
10. Then there's always those little bowls of extra lemon juice for you inveterate sour pusses.
Share this article