Mexican Green Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 lb fresh green beans, strings removed, ends snapped off, cut in half into about 1 1/2 inch length pieces
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice or vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you can get it)
- 3/4 cup packed, chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup canned, pickled jalapeño chili peppers, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese (salty Mexican cheese that resembles feta)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or cut into inch long pieces
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges, or a cup of halved cherry tomatoes
1 Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the beans and simmer until just crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the beans and run cold water over them to cool them quickly. Drain completely.
2 Place beans in a large bowl. Gently mix in the the lime juice or vinegar, olive oil, 1/4 cup onion, sliced pickled jalapeños, sea salt, oregano and cilantro. Let sit for half an hour.
3 When ready to serve, gently mix in the chopped red onion and cotija cheese. Serve the avocado slices and tomato wedges on the side or mixed into the salad.
Yield: Serves 4.
Share this article