Making Weight Loss Easy
Two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or obese and that needs to change. Being overweight or obese increases your risk for heart disease, diabetes and some cancers. However just a few pounds of weight loss will improve those risks. I am not talking about being super-skinny, but achieving a healthy weight, which is a Body Mass Index between 20 to 25. Do you know your BMI? If not, you can use an online BMI calculator. If your BMI is over 25, you need to bring that number down. Here's some help to make weight loss easier.
If you are overweight, you are taking in more calories than your body needs every day, so you need to eat less to lose weight.
You probably already know that, and you already know that eating less just isn’t any fun —- you don't want to feel hungry all day. So you do you stay full without eating too many calories?
The key is to eat plenty of fiber with every meal, but most people don't do that.
Fiber keeps you feeling full longer, and of course, fiber is also really important for a healthy digestive system. Eating foods high in fiber makes weight loss easier because it keeps you feeling full longer. Where do you get dietary fiber? From whole grains and from fruits and vegetables. Aim for 3 servings of 100% whole grains and 5 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday.
Here is some simple advice for easier weight loss. Starting with your next meal, eat more fiber.
Is it breakfast? Choose a cup of a whole grain cereal with half a cup of non-fat milk topped with a half cup of strawberries.
Lunch time? Make a sandwich with 100% whole grain bread, one small slice of turkey and plenty of tomato slices, avocados, sprouts, lettuce and mustard instead of high-calorie mayo. And no potato chips. Serve your sandwich with a small salad.
For dinner, cut that big steak in half (that's all you need) and serve it with two cups of your favorite green vegetables. Still hungry? Eat more of the vegetables, not the steak. What about dessert? Have a bowl of fresh berries with a dollop of light whipped topping.
More Easy Weight Loss Tips
• Watch the sugary beverages. Instead, drink water, non-fat milk and zero-calorie beverages.
• Slow down -- when you eat too fast you will eat too much.
• Choose broth-based soups, such as chicken broth, with lots of vegetables over cream soups.
• When you go out to eat, take half of your meal home.
• Keep a bowl of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter instead of a jar of cookies.
• Don't skip meals -- you will just get too hungry and eat too much at the next meal.
• Add one cup of chopped vegetables to your favorite soup or pasta meal.
• Don't keep high-calorie snacks in the house -- buy fresh vegetables and fruits, low-fat yogurt, and enjoy air-popped or light popcorn.
• Keep track of calories -- join Calorie Count.
• Get moving -- walk or run every day to burn calories.
Share this article