The hadiths which we have so far mentioned refer to love for the Ahl al-Bayt (as) in general. There is another group of hadiths which allude to love and affection for some of the Ahl al-Bayt (as) in particular. We will now recount these hadiths:
1. Love of Imam ‘Ali (as)
The Holy Prophet (S) has said,
براءةٌ من النّارِ حبُّ عليًّ.
“The only way to gain salvation from the hell fire is to love ‘Ali.”24
Allah’s Prophet (S) also said,
«يا عليُّ! طوبي لمن احبّك وصدق فيك، وويلٌ لمن أبغضك وکذب فيکك.»
“O ‘Ali! Happy and blessed is the man who loves you and is sincere in recognizing your right and woe on any person who hates you and is a deceitful liar who does not recognize your right.”25
Umm Salamah narrates that she heard the Holy Prophet (S) say,
«لا يحبّ علياً منافقّ، ولا يبغضه مؤمنٌ.»
“No hypocrite loves ‘Ali and no true believer hates him.”26
Imam ‘Ali (as) said,
«والذي فلقَ الحبةَ وبرأ النسمةَ، إنّه لعهدَ النّبي الأمّي إليَّ انّه لا يحبّني إلاّ مؤمنٌ، ولا يبغضني إلاّ منافقٌ.»
“I swear upon He who split the seed and created man, the Prophet verily promised me that no one will love me except the true believer, and no one will hate me except the hypocrite.”27
2. Love of Fatimah al-Zahra (as)
Allah’s Prophet (S) said,
«فاطمةُ بضعةٌ منّي، من أغضَبها فقد أغضبني.»
“Fatimah is part of me. Whoever makes her angry, angers me.”28
It was asked of ‘A’ishah, “Who among the women was more beloved by the Holy Prophet?” She answered, “Fatimah.” They again asked her, “Who from among the men was more beloved by the Holy Prophet?” She answered, “Fatimah’s husband.”29
3. Love of Imam al-Hasan (as) and Imam al-Husayn (as)
The Holy Prophet (S) said about al-Hasan (as) and al-Husayn (as),
«هذان ابناي الحسنُ والحسينُ، أللّهم إنّي أُحبُّهما، أللّهم فأحبَّهما وأحبّ من يحبُّهما.»
“These two are my children. O Lord! I love these two. O Lord! May you too love them and love anyone who loves them.”30
He also said,
«الحسنُ والحسينُ ريحانتايَ.»
“Al-Hasan and al-Husayn are my two fragrant flowers.”31
24. Al-Hakim al-Neyshaburi, Al-Mustadrak ‘ala al-Sahihayn, vol. 2, p. 241.
25. Ibid., vol. 3, p. 135.
26. Al-Tirmidhi, Sunan, vol. 5, p. 635, hadith 3717; Jami‘ al-Sawl, vol. 8, p. 656, hadith 6499.
27. Muslim, Al-Sahih, vol. 1, p. 86, hadith 131; Al-Tirmidhi, Sunan, vol. 5, p. 643.
28. Sahih Bukhari, vol. 5, p. 92; Muslim, Al-Sahih, vol. 4, p. 1902.
29. Al-Tirmidhi, Sunan, vol. 5, p. 701, hadith 3874.
30. Sahih Bukhari, vol. 5, pp. 100-101; Al-Tirmidhi, Sunan, vol. 5, p. 656; Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Al-Musnad, vol. 2, p. 446.
31. Sahih Bukhari, vol. 5, p. 102, hadith 241; Al-Tirmidhi, Sunan, vol. 5, p. 657, hadith 3770; Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Al-Musnad, vol. 2, p. 85.