Interpretation of Sura Maryam (Mary) - Verse 45
45. " O my father! I fear lest a chastisement afflict you from the Beneficent (Allah) so that you become a friend to Satan."
Through this holy verses once more Abraham attracts the attention of 'A-zar to the evil sequels of polytheism and idolatry, when he says:
" O my father! I fear lest a chastisement afflict you from the Beneficent (Allah) so that you become a friend to Satan."
The statement of Abraham, here, before his uncle, 'A-zar, is very attractive. On one side, he frequently addresses him with the phrase: 'O my father' which is a sign of respect and courtesy. On the other side, the holy phrase 'I fear lest a chastisement afflict you …' indicates that Abraham is worried that any disquiet reaches 'A-zar.
And on the third side, the phrase 'a chastisement afflict you from the Beneficent (Allah)' points to this matter that due to his polytheism and idolatry, 'A-zar's state has reached a point that Allah, whose general compassion has encompassed everybody, becomes angry with him and punishes him. 'A-zar has to note what a horrible thing he does! And, on the fourth said, his deed is an action of which is to go under the shade of the friendship of Satan.
1. Allah (s.w.t.) says: "And as for those who belie Our Signs, chastisement shall afflict them for what they were transgressing." (Sura Al-'An'am, No. 6, verse 49)
2. Allah, the Exalted, says: "…and We seized those who were unjust with a dreadful punishment for the transgressions they used to commit." (Sura Al-'A'rAf, No. 7, verse 165)
3. The Messenger of Allah (p.b.u.h.) said: "Whoever causes the most grievous torture for people in this life, he will have the most grievous punishment with Allah on the Day of Hereafter." (Nahj-ul-Fasahah, p. 59; & Kanz-ul-'Ummal, vol.3, p. 500)
Adopted from the book : "The Light of the Holy Qur'an; Interpretation of Surah Maryam" by : "Sayyid Kamal Faghih Imani and a Group of Muslim Scholars"
Share this article
- Prev: Interpretation of Sura Maryam (Mary) - Verses 43-44
- Next: Interpretation of Sura Maryam (Mary) - Verse 46