How To Stop Postpartum Hair Loss
Getting pregnant and giving birth to a child is a long-awaited dream of every woman. To hold a new born in your hands and plan his/her upbringing is a wonderful experience. However, this happiness does not come quite easily for a mother. There are several small and big complications that a mother faces before and after a child’s birth. One such complication is the postpartum hair loss, scientifically known as ‘Telogen Effluvium’. Postpartum hair loss is a situation, wherein a woman faces great amount of hair loss over a period of one month. Telogen Effluvium often results from an experience that is either physically or emotionally traumatic, such as child birth. Changes take place in the way the hair grow and develop. This difference causes a large number of hair follicles to shed all at one time. This article will provide you with certain measures that will help you learn how to prevent postpartum hair loss.
- Stress is one of the most important causes of postpartum hair loss. Therefore, it is advisable to reduce the stress levels and anxiety. Though it sounds somewhat impossible for a new mother full of worries, it is very important to keep worries at bay, to get rid of hair loss after child birth. Take your time out for meditation and breathing exercises.
- Continue the intake of prenatal vitamins, even after your baby is born. These vitamins do not stop your hair fall, but will definitely ensure that you are getting the nutrients required by you, to prevent hair loss, due to other causes. Deficiencies in zinc, manganese and vitamin B12 can all contribute to hair loss.
- For those concerned with thinning of the hair, using a shampoo and conditioner that ensures giving volume and bulk to your tresses would be an ideal bet. You can also go for regular oiling and spa therapies. Consult your hair stylist to find out about the products to treat thinning hair.
- One of the easiest ways to treat hair loss and stimulate hair growth post pregnancy is to take in a healthy balanced diet. Foods such as nuts, avocados and fish that are rich in omegas are quiet beneficial for hair growth. Flax seed oil and fish oil, if consumed daily, can also prevent postpartum hair loss.
- Postpartum hair loss is a temporary condition that occurs for 3 to 6 months, after delivery. To hide the effects, you can even go in for a shorter hair style. A shorter hair cut will make you feel better, as you won’t notice the loose hair on your hairbrush as much.
- A healthy pregnant woman is much more unlikely to suffer from prolonged hair loss. Therefore, a very useful way to prevent and control postpartum hair loss is to exercise regularly and do yoga. Meditation and breathing exercises prevent stress and the resultant hair loss to a great extent.
- Massaging your scalp and hair with essential oils, such as olive oil and lavender oil, on a regular basis, will prove to be very effective and increase the blood flow to the hair follicles. This increase in blood flow helps in increasing hair growth and proves to be quite beneficial to treat as well as prevent postpartum hair loss.
- If your postpartum hair loss continues for more than 3 months or if your hair is falling in large clumps, then it is an alarming situation and time for you to consult your doctor. There might be some other condition that needs to be attended by a doctor, like impaired thyroid function.
Share this article