How to Make Persian Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Scallions, Yellow Bell Peppers, and Fresh Mint
Persian cucumber and tomato salad with scallions, yellow bell peppers, and fresh mint is an extremely easy-to-prepare salad that makes a wonderful first course to many meals, particularly Moroccan chicken dishes and wild, flavorful fish like mahi-mahi or red snapper. Serve this salad with a loaf of hot ciabatta bread with rosemary butter and a glass or crisp, dry white wine or a chilled Pilsner-style beer. This salad also travels quite well, making it ideal for picnics or day trips.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Things You'll Need
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
5 Persian cucumbers
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and deveined
2 Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1. Combine the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper in a small mixing bowl and whisk the ingredients together to make the dressing. Set aside until needed.
2. Slice the Persian cucumbers into very thin slices. Place the cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle the salt over the top. Place a clean, heavy saucepan over the cucumbers to remove the excess moisture from the cucumbers. Let the cucumbers drain for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Chop the scallions and yellow bell pepper and place them in a large mixing bowl. Quarter the Roma tomatoes and add them to the mixing bowl.
4. Remove the Persian cucumber slices from the colander and shake off any remaining salt. Add the cucumbers to the mixing bowl with the other vegetables.
5. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the cucumber and tomato mixture and toss well with tongs or wooden spoons.
6. Transfer the dressed salad to a large serving platter and top with the chopped fresh mint. Serve immediately.
Share this article