How To Make A Pillow
Making a pillow at home is easy. If you are familiar with the basic techniques of sewing, then making a pillow at home can be a very trouble-free task. Square and rectangular pillows are easiest to stitch, but you can also improvise and make your own comfortable pillows once you have thoroughly learnt the basics. Above all, you do not need any fancy or expensive equipment for it; neither would you need any chic templates. Learning how to make a pillow at home will help you make customized pillows of your choice and that too at a reasonable price. Homemade pillows are more durable and cost effective than store bought pillows. If you wish to give it a shot, then surf through the following sections to learn how to make a pillow. Once you learn the technique, you will be on your way to make decorative pillows that will definitely wow family and friends alike.
Making A Pillow At Home
- Cotton/Silk fabric
- Velcro (Optional)
- Any fabric is good to make pillows. However, if you want to make a comfort pillow, then silk is the best choice of fabric. Alternatively, you may also use cotton fabric if you want to make a pillow for regular use.
- First, cut the fabric into two pieces measuring 6” x 11”. One piece will have to be used to make the top cover of the pillow and the other to make the base of the pillow.
- Sew the two pieces of fabric together first and then stitch all the three sides of the fabric together. Make sure you keep the wrong side outward while stitching. Once you are done with the stitching, turn it inside out.
- Now stuff the pillow with the store bought cotton filler. You can also use any other fillers like down feathers or scrap fabric. Stuff the filler uniformly so that the pillow gets a uniform shape and size.
- Do not overstuff the pillow, else it might rip open while stitching. Fill the pillow only up to its capacity. Now, turn the right side on top and pin it. Adjust the pillow by pressing it with your hands from two sides so that you can uniformly spread the filler.
- Stitch the opening of the pillow carefully. Make sure that the sewing is neat and the filler does not come out from any sides of the pillow.
- Once you have completed stitching the pillow, leave it in sun for some time to make it fluffy.
- Dust the pillow and insert it inside a pillow cover. Your pillow is now ready for use.
- Make your pillow refillable and washable by stitching some velcro on the open end of the pillow.
- If you wish to make a comfort pillow, fill a mesh bag with your choice of herbs and flowers. You can also add some fragrant oil and then tie the bag with a string.
- Now slide the bag inside your pillow and pack it with a little cotton or other pillow stuffing material around the bag. Once you are done with the stuffing, insert the pillow in a pillow cover. Your comfort pillow is now ready to use. However, remember to avoid materials to which you may be allergic to, while making your comfort pillow.
Share this article