Hot Chocolate on a Stick
1/2 cup heavy cream
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (1 1/4 cups)
3 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (chopped chocolate bars or chips)
3/4 cup unsweetened baking chocolate
Sticks (wooden or plastic)
1. Line an 8″ x 8″ pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Heat the cream and condensed milk over low heat until steaming. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate; allow it to gently melt.
3. After about 10 minutes, return the chocolate mixture to low heat to completely melt the chocolate. Whisk vigorously until the mixture is thick and shiny. Add a few drops of flavoring oil if you like; hazelnut, coffee, or vanilla are popular flavors.
4. Pour the chocolate mixture into the pan; shake the pan gently to level. Sprinkle with cocoa, if desired. Set aside overnight to slowly set up.
5. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and turn out onto a clean cutting surface.
6. Slice into 1-1/4 cubes. Heat a knife in hot water and wipe dry before each cut, for smoothest cuts.
7. Stick a wooden stick into the center of each block.
8. Roll in cocoa or crushed peppermint candy, if desired. Wrap in waxed paper, parchment, or plastic wrap to store.
Yields: about 3 dozen blocks
Share this article