Frog's Eye Salad
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in its own juice, undrained
- 2 (11-ounce) cans mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups (8 ounces) Acine di Pepe Pasta, uncooked
- 3 1/2 cups (8 ounces) frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
1. In medium saucepan, stir together sugar, flour and salt.
2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice to equal 1 cup. With whisk, gradually stir juice and egg into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in lemon juice. Cool mixture to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly; drain well.
4. In large bowl, stir together pineapple juice mixture and pasta. Cover; refrigerate several hours or overnight.
5. Add crushed pineapple and chunks, oranges, 2 cups whipped topping, marshmallows and coconut; mix gently and thoroughly. Cover; refrigerate until cold.
6. Top with remaining whipped topping; garnish with cherries, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Share this article