Freezer Care & Maintenance Tips
Proper care and maintenance of your freezer will not only improve efficiency and performance, but will save energy dollars, and help your food contents to last longer.
Location of Your Freezer
Placing your freezer directly near a heat source, outside in warm climates, or where the sun will shine on it, will cause it to work harder than it needs to - increasing energy costs. Find a cool, level and dry space, with adequate clearance at the back for good air circulation, and room overhead or to the side to open the freezer door.
Care & Maintenance
- Check the seal occasionally to ensure proper sealing. If the seal is not adequate, the door may require an adjustment or the seal may need to be replaced.
- Defrost and clean the freezer regularly. Ice build-up will lower it's efficiency.
- Safeguard your small children by keeping freezers locked.
- Vacuum any exposed condensor coils regularly to ensure proper air circulation.
- Keep temperature constant to keep food from spoiling.
- Label and date food contents for quick retrieval, and ensure that foods are properly rotated.
- These tips are general in nature; consult your owner's manual for specific care guidelines.
Moving Day Tips
- You can lay your upright down for safer transport, but turn it on its side with the hinges up, to ensure the door doesn't open.
- You might consider securing the door shut to prevent movement and protect the hinges.
- Remove glass shelving before moving the appliance.
- Wait at least a half hour before plugging your freezer in, to ensure the oil has time to drain back to its proper place in the compressor. Older freezers should have an even longer waiting period - as the oil takes longer to relocate.
- After an extended period in freezing weather, your freezer may not appear to be working after being plugged in, but as it adjusts to the warmer room temperature, the thermostat will tell it to operate.
Share this article
- Prev: How To Maintain Your Refrigerator
- Next: Refrigerator Cleaning - How Often Do You Clean Your Refrigerator?