Fish Oil: How it Can Help Improve Your Health
What is Fish Oil?
Fish oil is a naturally occurring substance that contains an abundance of omega-3 fatty acids (good fats) that are generally absent in the North American diet. We tend to eat a lot of chicken, beef, and pork but do not normally consume much fish or seafood that contains these great fatty acids. The supplement itself is derived from the tissues of a variety of fish including salmon, tuna, and sardines to name a few. The three fatty acids included in fish oil supplement are DHA, EPA, DPA.
I know what a lot of you out there are already saying: "Why would I want to put more fat into my body?" or "Fish oil sounds gross, I don't even like fish!" Well perhaps I can change your mind...
1. Fish oil contains essential fatty acids - those acids that your body must ingest and cannot produce by itself. This is a fancy way of saying that these are good fats and that almost everyone is deficient in their omega-3 intake.
2. Fish oil has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity in muscle cells while decreasing it in fat cells. This means more muscle, less fat - sound good to you?
3. Fish oil has also been shown to improve your body's ability to store protein, create lean muscle mass, and increase your metabolic rate.
4. It is a natural anti-inflammatory.
5. It may also reduce cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes risk.
These benefits should far outweigh any hesitations you might have. Not to mention, you can get these benefits by simply ingesting a pill each day.
How much and what kind?
In most cases, healthy individuals can take a maximum of 3 g of fish oil per day. In regards to brands, as with any supplement, not all are created equal. When purchasing fish oil, you want quality and potency.
There you have it - some quality information regarding Fish oil, one of the greatest supplements on earth.
*Please consult with your physician before you take any additional supplements.
Stay Active, Stay Fit!
Share this article