Doctrine of the Number of the Imam
Adopted from the book : "The Faith of Shi'a Islam" by : Allamah Muhammad Ridha al-Muzaffar"
We believe that the Imams are twelve in number; that the prophet publicly announced them by name; and that each of them announcing his successor. They are:
We believe that the Imams are twelve in number ; that the prophet publicly announced them by name; and that each of them announced his successor. They are:
1) Abu 'l-Hasan 'Ali ibn Abi Talib, al-Murtada.
Born 23 years before the hijrah (601 A.D.), died in the year 40 A.H. (661 A.D).
2) Abu Muhammad Hasan ibn 'Ali, called Zakiy.
3) Abu Abdillah Husayn ibn 'Ali called Sayyid ash-Shuhada'.
4) Abu Muhammad 'Ali ibn Husayn, called Zayn al-Abidin.
5) Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn' Ali, called al-Baqir.
6) Abu 'Abdillah Ja'far ibn' Ali, called as-Sadiq.
7) Abu Ibrahim Musa ibn Ja'far, called al-Kazim.
8) Abu 'l-Hasan 'Ali ibn Musa, called ar-Rida.
9) Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn 'Ali, called al-Jawad.
10) Abu 'l-Hasan 'Ali ibn Muhammad, called al-Hadi.
11) Abu 'l-Qasim Muhammad Hasan,ibn' Ali called al-Askari.
12) Abu 'l-Qasim Muhammad ibn Hasan, called al-Mahdi.
Share this article