Chocolate & Caramel Ice Cream
3 cups of full cream milk
1 cup of sugar
2 heaped table spoons of cocoa powder
- Dissolve the cocoa powder with little milk in a cup to make a smooth paste, then leave aside.
- Put the dry sugar in a heavy bottomed pan, then on very low heat, stir until the sugar melts down by itself (do not add water or anything) its color will turn orange.
- remove from heat for a few seconds, then add the milk and bring back to heat. If the sugar turned solid don't worry, it will melt down as the milk becomes hotter.
- Add the cocoa paste and stir.
- Just before the milk boils, turn off the heat, and leave until warm, then put in the freezer.
- after a few hours, when the ice cream is almost frozen, but not solid yet, put it in a blender and mix for a few seconds, then pour in a container, cover and put back in the freezer. Make sure the container has room for expansion (the ice cream tends to grow in size as it freezes). This blender step is important to get a smooth ice cream. It's a substitute for using an ice cream machine.
- The ice cream should be ready when it hardens enough in the freezer.
Share this article