Chicken Salad Recipe
- 3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat*, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4-6 green olives, pitted and minced
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/2 to a whole apple, cored and chopped
- 1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
- 5 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve (or a lesser amount of honey)
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Prep all of the salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl.
2 Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate smaller bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise, preserves, and lemon juice. Taste for the proper balance of sweetness and acidity. The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too sour. Add more preserves or lemon juice until you have reached the balance you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 Gently stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Yield: Serves four.
Share this article