- Published on Friday, 26 July 2013 19:26
- Written by yasalamcooking.com
1 cup red lentils
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 tablespoons butter
3 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Saltand pepper, to taste
1. Wash lentils until water runs clear and is no longer cloudy.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan on medium heat, sauté onion with butter for 1 minute, add garlic sauté until golden. Add lentils and 1 cup water, stir.
3. Put the lid on half way and cook for 5 minutes. The lentils will absorb the water quickly, so check often. Add chicken cube, remaining water, tomato paste,cumin, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 more minutes with the lid half way on over medium heat.
Yields: 4 servings