- Published on Friday, 26 July 2013 18:51
- Written by yasalamcooking.com
2 onions, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon Arabic spice mix
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1/2 cup yellow split peas
5 cups water
1 cup uncooked rice
8 ounces ground beef
3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
3 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
1 tablespoon butter
1 chicken bulloin cube
3 garlic cloves, diced
pinch saffron strands dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water
salt and pepper to taste
yogurt, to serve
1. In a 4-quart pan on medium heat add olive oil, garlic and one onion. Cook until tender. Add turmeric, split peas and water, Bring to a full boil then reduce to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl add beef, Arabic spice mix and other onion. Mix well and shape into small balls the size of jaw breakers.
3. Carefully place meatballs into soup. Add chicken bullion, parsley, mint, cilantro, salt, pepper, butter and rice. Bring to a full boil, reduce to low and cover. Allow to cook until rice is tender about 30 minutes.
4. Pour saffron water into soup, mix. Place soup into serving bowls and add a dollop of yogurt into each one.
Yields: 6 servings