- Published on Friday, 26 July 2013 18:08
- Written by yasalamcooking.com
1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut intopieces (including back)
7 cups water
1 cup coconut milk
1 stalk of lemon grass (cut into 3 strips)
1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons salt
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2-inch piece of galangal (peeled and sliced)
2-inch piece of ginger (peeled and sliced)
Juice of 1 lime
1 packet of vermicelli or 2 packets instant noodles, cooked per package directions
Quartered boiled eggs
1. Bring chicken, water, and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Skim foam.
2. Add coconut milk, lemon grass, coriander, cumin, shallots, garlic, turmeric, galangal, red pepper flakes, salt, ginger and lime juice. Bring to a full boil, cover and reduce too low for 45 minutes.
3. Remove chicken and shred from bone. Add shredded chicken back into soup. Discard bones. Bring to a full boil, cover then reduce heat to low. Allow to cook another 15 minutes.
4. Add broth into bowl then add toppings as you like.
Yields: 4 servings