- Published on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 14:46
- Written by allrecipes.asia
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 litre diluted salt-reduced or homemade chicken or vegetable stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
500g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 5 mm strips
250g French beans, trimmed and chopped
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
⅓ cup (85g) low-fat natural yogurt
pinch of cayenne pepper
12 sprigs of fresh coriander
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 3 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic and continue stirring for about 2 minutes longer until the onions are softened, but not brown.
2. Reduce the heat slightly and stir in the spices. Continue stirring over a gentle heat for a few minutes so the spices release their aroma. Take care not to let the mixture burn.
3. Stir in the stock and tomatoes with their juice, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
4. Add the chicken, beans and chickpeas to the pan, bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and leave the soup to cook gently for about 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the beans are just tender. Taste a bean to test if it is cooked and cut a piece of chicken in half to make sure it is no longer pink in the centre. Stir in the chopped coriander and season. (If freezing the soup, add the coriander and remaining ingredients after reheating.)
5. Ladle the soup into individual bowls, then add a dollop of yogurt to each serving, sprinkle with a little cayenne pepper and garnish with coriander.