- Published on Sunday, 03 February 2013 14:18
- Written by simplyrecipes.com
- 2 cups of grated carrots (from about 3 carrots)
- 1 cup of grated fresh beets (from about 1 medium sized peeled beet)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (sweet, not hot)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Small pinch of salt
- Small pinch of cayenne
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 Tbsp sliced fresh mint leaves
1 Place the grated carrots in a medium sized serving bowl. Place the grated beets into a sieve and briefly rinse with cold water. This will rinse away a little of the excess beet juice that may otherwise color the whole salad beet red. Pat dry with a paper towel. Then add to the bowl with the carrots. Add the raisins. Stir to gently combine.
2 In a small bowl, whisk together the paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne. Then add the lemon juice and honey and whisk until smooth.
3 Drizzle over the the carrots and beets, then gently fold until the carrots and beets are lightly coated. Let sit for an hour before serving, either chilled or at room temperature, for the dressing to seep into the carrots and beets.
4 Right before serving, stir in a couple tablespoons of sliced fresh mint leaves. Garnish with fresh mint.
Yield: Serves 4.