- Published on Friday, 25 October 2013 14:16
- Written by mayoclinic.com
Answer from Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.
Research on the best foods for healthy skin is limited. Still, antioxidant-rich foods seem to have a protective effect for the skin.
Consider these skin-friendly foods:
- Carrots, apricots, and other yellow and orange fruits and vegetables
- Spinach and other green leafy vegetables
- Beans, peas and lentils
- Salmon, mackerel and other fatty fish
On the flip side, some foods seem to be associated with skin damage. For example, some research suggests that a diet high in processed or refined carbohydrates and unhealthy fats promotes skin aging.
Remember, many of the best foods for healthy skin also promote good health overall. Rather than focusing on specific foods for healthy skin, concentrate on a healthy diet in general. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Include nuts, seeds and beans in your favorite meals. Opt for whole-grain breads and pasta. Limit sweets. Strive for variety as you're making healthy choices.