Interpretation of Sura Maryam (Mary) - Verse 97
97. " So We have made it (The Qur'an) easy in your tongue that you may give glad tidings thereby to the pious ones, and warn thereby stubborn people."
Here, the verse has referred to the Qur'an, which is a source of training, Faith, and righteous deed. Allah (s.w.t.) in this verse says:
" So We have made it (The Qur'an) easy in your tongue that you may give glad tidings thereby to the pious ones, and warn thereby stubborn people."
The term /yassarnah/, mentioned in the verse, is derived from the Arabic infinitive /taysir/ in the sense of facilitation. This facilitation may be from the different points of view:
1. It may be in this point of view that the Qur'an has been revealed in Arabic, eloquent and perspicuous, whose tone is pleasant in the ears, and whose recitation is easy for the tongues.
2. It may be from this view that Allah had given such a domination over the verses of the Qur'an to His Prophet (p.b.u.h.) that he could apply it easily everywhere and for removing any difficulty, and he used to recite them to the believers munificently.
3. It may be from the point of the content of the Qur'an which, with its deep meanings, is easy to understand. Basically, those many great and outstanding facts which have been arranged in the frame of limited mere verbal utterances whose meanings can be understood easily, itself is an evidence for what is recited in the abovementioned verse and the act of which has been performed by the help of Allah.
In several verses of Sura Al-Qamar, No. 54, including verse 17, this phrase has been repeated: "And certainly We have made the Qur'an easy for remembrance, but is there anyone who will mind?"
The Arabic word /ludd/ is the plural form of /'alad/ which means 'an enemy with intensive hostility', and it is used for those who are fanatic, obstinate, and irrational in enmity.
Adopted from the book : "The Light of the Holy Qur'an; Interpretation of Surah Maryam" by : "Sayyid Kamal Faghih Imani and a Group of Muslim Scholars"
Share this article
- Prev: Interpretation of Sura Maryam (Mary) - Verse 96
- Next: Interpretation of Sura Maryam (Mary) - Verse 98