Ali's advise to the army before the battle of Siffin
- :Yousuf N. Lalljee
1. Never begin a war yourself, God does not like bloodshed; fight only in defence.
2. Never be first to attack your enemy, repulse his attacks, but do it boldly, bravely and courageously.
3. While declaring yourself and your deeds (Rajuz, a custom amongst hand to hand combatants engaged in a fight) never waste your time, and instead of speaking about yourself speak about God and the Holy Prophet (AS).
4. Never follow and kill those who run away from the battle or an encounter, life is dear to them, let them live.
5. Never kill wounded persons who cannot defend themselves.
6. Never strip naked a dead man for the sake of his coat of arms or dress.
7. Never cut the nose or the ears of the dead to humiliate them.
8. Never take to loot and arson.( 167 )
9. Never molest or outrage the modesty of a woman.
10. Never hurt a woman even if she swears at you or hurts you.
11. Never hurt a child.
12. Never hurt an old and enfeebled person.
Adapted from: "Ali, the Magnificent" by: "Yousuf N. Lalljee"
Share this article